Monday, February 21, 2011

Tennis Anyone?



February in Delhi is actually a really nice time to be here.  While most of the world suffers through 3 feet of snow and sub-freezing temperatures, we in Delhi are enjoying 75 degrees and less stink than usual.  The city turns out in droves to the parks and other public areas to enjoy the weather.  This, combined with a clean bill of health, has prompted my wife to get me back into tennis.  

Now it has been many years since I picked up a racket.  The last time I ventured on to the court was at the French Lick Springs Hotel in French Lick, Indiana some 9 years ago.  After a few rounds, I chased a ball into a divider net, lost my balance and had a full-scale yard sale into the next court's net crank.  I was so badly injured that I needed to be rushed to the hospital in the back of an ambulance.   God help me if I had taken up badminton, I may have died.

So we ventured over the club to which we belong and took our places on the court and were greeted by our ball boy.  Apparently, the theme of not doing a damn thing for yourself in India even extends to physical exercise.  We batted the ball around the courts and Sandeep continued to chase them and throw them back to us.  At one point, I even stopped trying to get to the hard shots knowing that a little yellow ball would be rolled to me in a moment.

"Hum", I thought to myself, "this is the way tennis should be played!"

1 comment:

  1. Trip.....too funny. We watched the golf tournament from Delhi. Funny there was so much noise around the greens - babies crying, cameras clicking and just people talking. No wonder a player from India won the tournament - he was used to all that. :)

    ReplyDelete