Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Gas Line

Apparently, they are installing a gas line in my neighborhood.  I was initially overjoyed to hear this news, as we currently have to get the gas for our stove in cylinders and each time we run out, we need to replace the cylinder.  Now, this is India, so by "we", I mean the watchman, Gupta Ji, so it is not like it is traumatic.

Anyway, as I said, I was excited until I looked out of the window today and saw this.





Now, I have so many issues with this process, I have no idea where to start.  Firstly, if my observations are correct, I believe the two plastic tubes crossing the trench are the gas line.  Who lays a plastic gas line without insulation or protection and then covers it with dirt?  Who is the guy in the chair and could he maybe help out the frail women with the shovels?  Thirdly, look at the guy in the trench chipping away at the manhole access tunnel - dude, if you want in, just lift the cover next to you and climb down.  

I have been in India for roughly 8 months and have learned that there are some things you just are better off not knowing - like any food preparation.  It is just better that way. The installation of a gas line, I believe falls into the category.  Each night, I now will go to bed wondering if today is the day the line will spring a leak and some knucklehead will walk by smoking a cigarette.  

Boom!

No comments:

Post a Comment