Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Visa problems

 A few weeks ago, I contacted my friendly visa person and asked to be sent the application for a simple, single entry, business visa to India.  She sent the form and I filled it out.  I then sent her the requisite copies of my passport, drivers license and said form and went home thinking that this was finally checked off my list.  I came in the next day to a pleasant voicemail explaining that the visa requirements had changed in India and now, in addition to the the aforementioned forms, I was required to provide a birth certificate with both parents names on it.  Hum!

So I diligently went on-line (being an adopter of technology) and found that we, as a country have outsourced the dispatching of birth certificates.  You now go to a website called VitalCheck.com, choose your state, enter your info, choose the reason you need it, pay the $53 and in 3-5 days your very own certified birth certificate arrives in the mail.  Pretty simple, right? 

With timing running short, I order a copy and put "Visa" as my reason.  I waited patiently for the federal express man - you know like we used to wait for mail.  It arrived in the prescribed 5 days and excitement abounded as I tore open the envelope (a little part of me was excited that there was finally proof that I was not traded for a goat as I had been told by my sisters) only find, nicely framed by the seal of the great state of Pennsylvania, my name and no other. No parents.  Nothing.  For a moment, I thought maybe my sisters had been right - damn goat!

After a brief, but relatively intense melt-down, I got back on the internet and began to search for what had gone wrong.  Nothing on the website indicated that there was an issue. No side instructions I missed.  The next morning, I called the the state of Pennsylvania to ask what I should do.  The first person I got, let's call her Princess Not-So-Bright, had no idea about what I was talking. Although she worked in the Department of Vital Statistic, she had but a faint grasp of what vital statistics were. After several long minutes with the vacuous government employee,  I finally asked the Princess if I could speak with her supervisor.  The supervisor, I was told, was on break, but I could call back (no doubt she had run over her 1 hour in a row limit for Union work).  I called back and she was able to tell me that you have to choose "legal" in the reason box to get the long-form.  The best part was she said like she was explaining how to breath - duh!

So I quickly repeated the process checking "legal" as the reason and held my breath for the 3-5 days.  Last Thursday, the document arrived (this time I tracked it - early adopter, what can I say) and magically all names were in the appropriate boxes.  Relieved to put the goat myth to rest once and for all, I scanned it and sent to the visa person for quick processing.  Today, I was told that the visa is ready at the embassy and it is being overnighted to me.  Relief!

Just one question, though, if processing our birth certificates is deemed too difficult a task for our over-paid, union, government employees, why would we ever give them our medical records?

1 comment:

  1. I finally figured out how to comment! Of course, I had to dig out the old AOL screen name made at a time when there was sure death to anyone who would dare use their "real" name as an email account!

    In any event... Just thought you should know that it's really quite easy to alter a birth certificate if, as the legal guardian, you pay a small fee. Mom and Dad made us promise not to tell; but the goat still thanks you!

    Love,
    Your big sister.

    ReplyDelete