Monday, June 28, 2010

The Hotel

I moved into the New Delhi Sheraton on Saturday after my ill-fated house hunting day.  My Finance Director negotiated a fine rate for a suite on the executive floor with a private lounge that has a free happy hour and a pretty decent breakfast.  The room has two rooms a living room and a bed room, and is complimented by two bathrooms and a large entry way.  The living room is a typical suite living room with a desk, sitting area, bar and TV.  The bedroom, though, is a little better appointed.  It has a 60 inch plasma and, of all things, a massage chair.  Yes, there is nothing better than returning to your room to sit in front of your plasma with the rhythmic beat of a Japanese massage chair.  Ahh, that's the life!

Tonight, as I was sitting in my massage chair, the doorbell rang.  Outside stood two hotel employees carrying a boatload of throw pillows.  Hum?  I opened the door and they enthusiastically marched through the door and into the bedroom and proceeded to place two on each chair and one on the massage chair.  They then smiled and promptly left.  I was a bit stunned to be honest.



As I stood in the doorway looking at the pillows, the phone rang. On the other end, was the Hotel Manager.  He asked if I had received the pillows and if I was satisfied with them.  He then, in a very proud tone, told me they were compliments of the Hotel and if there was anything else I needed, not to hesitate to ask.

Hey, I love free stuff and would never turn away gratuitous gifts from a hotel.  I have enjoyed room upgrades, complimentary meals and even an occasional free night,  but never in my wildest dreams did I think I would experience the rare and mythical throw pillow bonanza!  I am truly blessed (and still slightly perplexed).

2 comments:

  1. Tears in my eyes. Perhaps they are not truly "yours to keep" - but just some weird Indian thing about providing extra comfort to their honored guests. Still. nice embroidery. At least they complemented you with the nice pillows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watch him get busted for attempting to abscond with the "gifted" pillows at check out! Now that's a worthy chuckle. I am off to research the penal code of India and perhaps what the punishment is for pillow pilferers.

    ReplyDelete