Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Rip-Off and the Revenge

After the slow start with the bags and the short-nights sleep, I was up this morning to complete the packing process and get under way.  I was a little tired and had this nagging suspicion that I was forgetting something essential.  General uneasiness at 5:00am.  Never the less, there was nothing I could do at this point, so in the famous words of my sister "why dwell?"  I put the finishing touches on the suitcases, threw them in the car and was off to the airport.

Lately, I have been changing up my flights to Asia due to the cost differentials of the airlines.  For many years, we exclusively flew Northwest/Delta, but they have been too expensive lately (and suck!), so recently I have flown Korean Air  (excellent), Cathay Pacific (exceptional) and most recently United.  This trip was again on United.  Although you have to make a connection through Chicago or San Francisco, their Asian flights have seats that completely lay flat and you can actually get a good nights sleep (Cathay Pacific gives you individual pods which are the best, but rarely are they the low cost provider).

Anyway, I arrived at the airport and fumbled through the crowd towards the United counter.  I had three bags, two large rollers and a medium hard-sided duffle that slipped over the handle of one of the rollers.  I must of looked like a one armed man hanging wallpaper, because the two roller bags would not roll straight and the duffle kept swiveling forward.  It was a little frustrating and a lot physically challenging.

I finally made it to the United counter and after a few brief and curt questions, was immediately slapped with a $200 charge for my third bag.  $200 bucks for a bag on a $10,000 ticket - are you freak'n kidding me.  I was incensed.  I could buy a ticket to Pittsburgh for that.  I tried to reason with the guy telling him that I was moving to India, but he immediately turned into "indignant gay-guy" and began to speak to me like I was a child with a heavy feminine lisp and much wrist gesturing.  He told me that his system would not allow him to override it and that I would have to pay or not fly today.  Realizing that this was better fought through a different venue, I took his name and went through security.

I few minutes later, I was at the business-class lounge and was greeting by a very pleasant woman who asked how I was doing.  I sheepishly said that I was disappointed in her company that they would charge (poor, defenseless) me $200 for a third bag as I was trying to move my whole family to India.  She empathized and said she would look into it.  A few minutes later, I was on the phone to a United executive who was apologizing profusely.  He credited 100% of the charges back to my AMEX and wanting the the name of the employee who treating my sooooooo rudely.   It turns out that the charge was only supposed to be $100 and the agent can override it.  "He overcharged and lied to me?" I said with my christian sense of morality clearly offended.
  
I boarded the plane with the rare sensation that I gave a little back to the overpaid, underworked, union gate agents that are so good as dishing it to us!

2 comments:

  1. That must have made your day!!! It's encouraging to know that customer service comes when we least expect it. I'm sure the gate agent never expected anyone would follow through on your complaint.... Surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Note to traveling brother for when you and Olga board again: Take the third bag to the gate and check it there. Voila - no problemo. This will be handy for all the trips back home when you are sent "for supplies." The ticket check-in and the gate check-in do not communicate. No muss, no fuss, no conversation with tedious gay gate personnel.

    ReplyDelete