Saturday, June 12, 2010

Mac Daddy

About a year ago, I made the cosmic technological leap forward and bought an iPod.  I get that for some of you this is nothing new and no reason to celebrate, but for me, this was a major adaptation.  You see, I am cheap. But, not only am I cheap, I really do not like change. I do though embrace change when properly motivated. In this case, it was the endless benign droning of my fellow commuters.  Since said purchase, I have embraced the iPod properly by copying my entire disc collection and single-handedly causing the meteoric rise of the Apple stock through my iTunes stores purchases (you gotta love when you can buy pure 80s memories for $0.99)

Recently,  I have been faced with another motivating catalyst.  As we have surveyed our belongings, it has become painfully clear that we cannot take any electric items to India due to the power difference - no coffee maker, no toaster and no desk-top computer.  We will have to wait to replace the kitchen appliances until we land in the sub-continent, but a new computer was a decision that need to be made immediately.  I weighed my options and realized that a laptop was the only logical choice, because mobility was going to be essential.  After all, do you really want to be separated from all the essential information of your life for 6 weeks and an Indian Customs Agent?  So, I did my research, talked to all the right people and reluctantly, but once again, embraced the Apple Revolution.

This is not my first foray into the soft, warm hands of Steve Jobs.  My very first computer was a Mac - actually called the Mac Classic.  It was 1990 and my sister sent it to me in Scotland.  It was a uni-cube, beige little thing with a 9 inch monochrome screen, 4MB of memory and costed about $1000.  This thing was the bees knees! I had that Mac for about 5 years before I replaced it with an Apple Performa.  This was the first computer with which I ever surfed the internet.  It was dial-up and it was AOL, but it was revolutionary!  Ah, the memories.

So we are back in the Apple camp and embracing all that is right with the Apple.  We have an iPod, we have a MacBook Pro and, as the piece de resistance, we just took delivery of an iPad.  We now have the trifecta of Apple products and I am officially the Mac Daddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment