Sunday, October 9, 2011

Tragedy Strikes


As we had decided to stay in the villa and enjoy our pool and piece of ocean, it was only natural that we would make our way into the clear, blue water surrounding our villa.  After a quick dip in the pool, I donned my fins, snorkel and mask and darted about in front of our villa like a hyperactive fish, while Olga slowly swam around, basking in the sunshine and generally enjoying the peace and quiet. 

Roughly 20 minutes into my adventures, I decided to come back to the villa and take in the scenery from the pool and surround myself with the relaxing feeling of bubbles.  I made my way near the villa and as I stood to remove my fins near the steps, I lost my balance.  As you typically do in 3 feet of water, I flailed my hands through the water to regain balance, but to my left was a small coral just under the surface.  As I flapped around trying to regain my balance, I dragged my finger across the top of said coral.  This was bad, very bad. 

Now, this may not sound like a big deal, but if you know coral, those little bastards are like razors and cut deep.  Worse yet, since they are living organisms, they leave a little something behind that if not removed immediately can cause serious infections.  After a series of explicatives, I looked down to see the blood draining from my finger.  I asked Olga to grab a towel and call Hushy, as I knew that this cut was deep, already infected and would need a professional. 

As we waited for Hushy and the Doctor, I began to feel really depressed.  If the cut needed stitches, I would not be allowed back in the water.  Not only would it suck on a major scale to be in the Maldives and not be allowed to swim, but I could feel the diving experience slipping away, as well.

The doctor arrived and confirmed that the cut would need dressed and treated properly.  She, did, though, say that I could swim again as soon as tomorrow, but she rather I did not for a couple days.  Ha!  She dressed it the best she could to keep it safe in the water and I promised to stay dry for the rest of the day. 




In the end, I have a huge white bandage on my finger, which looks rather ridiculous and is a huge inconvenience, but all said, I am cleared to dive, so I am not too upset! 

3 comments:

  1. sorry about your boo boo. Got to be hard to take with all the scenery... xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was beginning to remind of the tennis incident! The resort is spectacular and I am envious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your accident must have been a scary start for your vacation. It is great that you can still go for your diving certification. The resort is absolutely gorgeous! It must be a weird feeling to step into the bathtub!!

    ReplyDelete