Friday, October 8, 2010

My First Domestic Business Trip

Monday morning at 3:30am, I awoke for my first domestic business trip in my adopted country.  Now I am no stranger to 3:30am in Delhi, as anyone that travels internationally can tell you, that is the time you enevitable wake up your first 3 nights after arriving.  This time, though, it wasn't voluntary. 

I slogged through my morning routine a tad bit slower than usual, dallying a bit longer in the shower until being reminded where I was by the hot water running out.  Reluctantly, I made some toast in the dark, put on my suit and checked my bags one last time. 

The driver arrived right on time, chipper as always, and took my breifcase and bag to the car while I attempted to put on my shoes. This normally routine task was, well, kicking my ass until I realize that I was trying to put my left shoe on my right foot.  Oh, what I would do for another hour of sleep.  

Delhi's streets at 4:50am are eeriely quiet.  The normally clogged arteries of the city are completely empty, but for a few lone auto-rickshaws and the occasional car.  This, though, I must add, is the absolute most dangerous time to be on the roads, as the lack of traffic empowers drivers to ignore what few traffic laws there are in Delhi.  Car scream through redlights without even a glace sideways.  Luckily, we did not have any incidents other than a bike crossing in front of us in slow motion.    

The domestic terminal in Delhi has moved to the old international terminal, or T1 for those of us in the know.  The only upgrade is the removal of the customs booths, but outside of that, the airport remains it dreary self, with its irratable guards and confused staff.  I flew Kingfisher Airlines to Bangalore and, although having the reputation for the most beautiful stewardesses (yes, they are still called stewardess here), they are definately not hiring from Mensa. 

There are two business class check-in positions at Kingfisher.  Since there are not a huge amount of domestic business-class passengers, this seems to be the right number.  There are though about 6 business-class check-in women milling about.  Due to the Indian propensity to add more people than neccessary, this routine task now takes on a life of its own.  The first woman greets you about 20 feet away from the counter, takes you passport and goes to one of the "closed positions."  You can't actually stand in front of these closed positions, so like a schlub, you stand in line behind the only other business-class passenger who is also being helped by another woman at another "closed" position.  Then a third guy arrives and since there are no more "closed" positions to run out and help him, he stands in the line behind the two of us.  The rub is that there is a woman in the open position doing absolutely nothing, because there are clearly two people in line in front of him.  She cannot help him, because that would be cutting!  So the woman at the open positon sits there with nothing to do and the third guy stands helplessly in a line that really does not exist. Again, you can't make this stuff up!

You finally get your passport, ticket and card for the business class lounge. If you have not flown internation business class, please let me explain. Unlike in the US, in Asia you need a business class lounge card to go the business class lounge,  Your ticket, which says business class in bold letters across the top, is not enough.  Typically this is because many airlines share a few lounges and it is easier for cattle control, but it does seem redundant.  Anyway, I got my lounge card from the gate agent and off I went.

On the otherside of security, I could not find my lounge.  I found one of the brightly colored Kingfisher agents and asked and she pointed me toward this restaurant-ish kind of place.  Hum?  I went in and sat down and the waiter told me that the buffet was free with the card.  It was 5:30am and a breakfast buffet was sounding pretty good..... until I saw it.  Does anyone remember the scrambed eggs that the college food plans serve?  Well image those, but in a vat of water.  Ummm!  I do not need to scare you with the rest.  I ordered my standard decaf coffee and waited for my flight to be called.

Like all non-US, non-bankrupt airlines, the service was superb.  The flight was on-time; my suit coat was taken upon entry into the plane; the food was actually edible and, on a 3 hour flight, they offered a movie and some sit-coms for your viewing pleasure.  The seats had their own TVs and were actually comfortable.  Since I will be making this flight several time a years, this is all very good news.  

I arrived at the brand, spanking new Bangalore Airport right on time.  The office met me at the right spot and off we went to work!

I think I am going to like Bangalore!

No comments:

Post a Comment