Friday, May 28, 2010

The Dates Are Set!

As time passes, the transition schedule is getting more and more firm. I met with my new boss this week and hammered out a pretty solid schedule for the next 2 months. I will going to Hong Kong the week of June 21st for 2 days of meetings and then she and I will be going to Delhi mid-week to meet my new team - all 100+ of them! It is my intention to stay there for the next 4 weeks and then return to Minneapolis for more meetings and the ritual of packing the house the last two weeks of July. We are shooting for total relocation by the end of July.

I have spoken to a ton of people from New Delhi this week during our Vendor Conference and they have all smirked when I tell them I am moving to India in July. Apparently, not purely the hottest month (that would be May), July has a unique combination of heat and monsoons rarely found anywhere else at any time. Bonus!

So with dates in hand, the move begins to become even more real. Contractors need to be called to repair what needs-a-fixin, rental companies need to be interviewed, crap needs to be hauled away and cars need to be sold. Nothing we have not done many times before, but it never gets any easier. Actually, as I am learning in this move, as you get older, it actually gets harder. You have more crap that needs hauled away, you have less time to do it and you have less patience for the complete incompetence of those to whom you must surrender you fate.

I, like my sibling blogger over at 'Why Dwell", have been prompted to take stock of my moves in my adult life. Including this move, I have lived in a total of 19 places since I was 18 which includes a total of 10 states and 4 countries. Since my wife and I have been together (provided she does not leave me during this move), Olga and I will have moved 7 times, though 4 states and 3 countries. You would think we would be tired ..... and you would be right.

No comments:

Post a Comment