Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Luck

Luck is an interesting thing. Some people are simply born with good luck, while others are destined to live out their lives watching others win. Me, I have tons of luck … it just happens to be all bad. My wife, on the other hand, is the queen of luck.

Over the years, she has had great streaks – Once in Vegas, after I had blown almost all our designated money on the craps table, she stepped up and won it all back and then some. At one point I refused to even touch the table for fear of my bad luck offsetting her good. When we moved to Oregon, my wife returned from the grocery store one day with a DVD player given to her for, well, being there. Finally, and most poignantly, she got me which make her the luckiest woman in the world … or not. Perspective may be more important than luck on that last one.

Anyway, the other day, my wife attended a charity event held at the Australian Embassy around the Melbourne Cup. The Melbourne cup, for the uninitiated, is a massive horse race in Australia on the magnitude of the Kentucky Derby, but with a much larger following and much larger hats. One of the benefits of being an expat is you get to experience a lot of different cultures. One of the downsides is that you usually experience them at strange hours. This being an Australian event, the party started at 8:30am.

Olga arrived in style and immediately upon stepping into the party, her entrance ticket won her an iPod. This was awesome, since I had just left mine in the Maldives and I am sure by now, Muhammad the security guy had converted my collection of Earth, Wind and Fire to the “Greatest Hits of Ramadan.”

Next there was a raffle drawing in which my lovely wife purchased two tickets. Half way through the drawing, one of her numbers hit and she was the proud new owner of a beautiful necklace. Her whole table was jealous… but they had yet to experience the full power of Olga’s luckiness.

A short time later, the big prizes came up. There were trips to Bali and weekends in Dubai, along with a few excursions around India. A few days prior, Olga and I had discussed a trip to Singapore as neither of us had been there and, yep, you guessed it, she won several nights at the Singapore Intercontinental in one of their luxury suites. I believe at this point, the rest of her table simply got up and walked away.

She called me on the way home and the both of us basked in the warmth of good luck that comes her way every now and again. If only they would raffle off new places to live, life would be perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment