Monday, September 26, 2011

Holiday Season!


Evil Ravana

In the American Northeast, the first snow is a major seasonal milestone. It signals the beginning of winter and, for most, the onset of the holiday season. After the first snow, you are comfortable in the thought that Thanksgiving is right around the corner - soon to be followed by Christmas and New Years. Especially as a kid, this was a great time.

In India, the change of the seasons also ushers in the holiday season. The change and the holidays are different, but the effect is similar. Today was one of those days. As I left my apartment and began the journey down to the car, I noticed that it was actually pleasant. I was not sweating; I was not gasping for breath from the oppressive humidity; I was actually comfortable! This was the Delhi equivalent of the first snow.

As I paused for a moment to enjoy the sensation of being outside and not sweating, I reflected on the upcoming holidays. In two weeks, on October 6th, Dussehra will kick off the holiday season. Dussehra is technically a 10 day event that celebrates the triumph of a few gods over evil culminating with "victory day" called Dussehra or Vijayadashmi. This is a significant holiday on the Hindu calendar, but I cannot recall any festivities from last year.

We then have Diwali, the grand-daddy of Indian Holidays on Oct 26th with a few gratuitous days around it, like Balipadyami and Bhai Duj to pad out the week. November starts with Rajyaotsava Day on the 1st, Idu'l Zuha on the 7th and the much anticipated Guru Nanak's Birthday to which we were roused from our beds last year with a parade at 7:00am. Finally, we wind down with Muharram on December 6th.

They may not, at first, seem to have the allure of Thanksgiving and Christmas (who amongst us would not prefer a burning Yule log to a burning effigy of the evil King Ravana), but as I grow older, I tend to measure holidays in relaxation time versus impact and these Indian Holidays, I can tell, will be a welcome respite to the daily grind!

No comments:

Post a Comment