Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Sad Day in India

Last Wednesday night, Olga left for the US to begin working again at least for a few months.  We had discussed the option of her returning a few months back, but the plan never seemed real until roughly last Monday and then it seemed all too real.


When we decided to come to India, Olga left her job on a 1 year Leave of Absence.  Really not knowing how this opportunity would unfold, we wanted to take all the precautions necessary to ensure that if we needed to make a speedy getaway, we had something on which to fall back.  After a year, we still are not sure, so it seemed prudent for Olga to return to work for a few months and earn another year's worth of Leave of Absence.  Now her LOA and my contract will expire together giving us the flexibility to make the right decision for our next assignment.


This all is logical and makes perfect sense on paper, but as we were driving to the airport for her flight to freedom, it made less sense to me.  India is a hard assignment. You have the people, the heat and general craziness that surrounds you every day, but the one thing that keeps you going is knowing that your best friend was always waiting at home to listen to your crazy stories and frustrated tales.


As I look at the next three months, these will be the hardest for me in India. Although my routine does not necessarily change too drastically - work, swim, eat, sleep - it will be a lot less fun without someone to share the agony.  Misery loves company and I do love the company I married!

3 comments:

  1. Dang. Was that sentiment? In writing? Go Olga!! And they said it couldn't be done.

    xo, w

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur!! Actually caught a tear!! I say, Go Trip!! (forwarding to Dave - he's playing Golf. Not sure he knows I've left town yet!! Chautauqua wants you to come visit soon!!)

    ReplyDelete