Sunday, May 8, 2011

iPad2 & Me


Very rarely does something come along that has an impact on your quality of life in a meaningful way.  For me, the delivery of my iPad2 is just such an event.  I don’t mean to be melodramatic about, but when you live in Delhi, anything that provides even the slightest venue for escape has an impact.

We already have an iPad in the house.  It was purchased last year before we left for Olga who made the acquisition a term of coming to India.  I felt that it was simply a gadget and had not value, but who was I to argue.  Once the iPad was up and running, I quickly saw the genius in its gadgety goodness and for the last year the iPad has spent its time being snatched out of the others hands at the first sign of idleness. 

As time went on, I realized that I used the iPad more for reading, than anything else and since I was not allowed to remove the thing from the house during work hours, I was not maximizing my potential or its.  I concluded that I needed an iPad of my own!

Seizing the opportunity of most of my company coming to Shanghai, I asked a colleague to pick me up one.  She did and after spending 2 hours in line at the apple store, she successful acquired one for me.  That is a true friend!

Since our return from China, I now sit quietly in the back of the SUV reading my book and listening to the iPod feature – typically to the soothing sounds of Sinatra and Martin – and ignoring the outside world.  I rarely even notice the tap, tap, tap on the window of the beggars and almost never realize when someone makes a right turn from the left lane backing up traffic for days.  Gone are all the frustrations of the commute and I simply take the time, whether 20 minutes of 2 hours, to enjoy a good read and great music. 

iPad2                                                                 $799.00
iTunes download of Dean Martin’s greatest hits           $14.99
iBooks download of favorite book                             $12.99

Peace of mind                                                     Priceless

No comments:

Post a Comment