Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Visas

As one can deduce from the previous blog, the shipments are gone, the house is empty and all is on track for our final move to India.  Well, almost everything....


Thursday afternoon we were finishing up with the house making sure that everything was in its proper place and the house was in top rental condition.  The housecleaning crew had just finished and everything was polished and shiny.  As I took one last look at the empty living room, the phone rang.  Odd, I thought, but I answered it anyway out of habit.  Lucky I did, as it was the Indian Consulate in Chicago.


Apparently, the Consulate did not receive all the papers for my visa and the gentleman that was calling was simply giving me a courtesy call to see if I would fax them directly to him rather than go through the long process of rejecting the visa application and the need for resubmission.  I said that I would have them to him ASAP.  My dilemma was that that I actually did not have any of the paperwork and worse yet, my fax machine was on its way to India.  All the paperwork was with the company lawyers and it was 4:30pm.  I left some frantic messages with both the relocation group and law department and around 5:00pm got a call back that the papers were faxed.  


Friday morning, I got a call from the lawyers that my visa had been approved, but my wife's was just beginning the process.  Her visa could not be started until mine was approved as her approval is based on my approval.  OK, makes sense, but someone might have figured this into the timing when we were in the planning stages a month ago.  We had a scheduled departure for New Delhi on Saturday, but based on the new information, it looked like we would not see the visas until Wednesday of next week at the earliest.  


So we are now sequestered in a hotel in downtown Minneapolis awaiting news of our future.  Best case scenario is that the visas are approved on Monday, overnighted here for Tuesday pickup and we are on a plane Wednesday.  


So we wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment